Re: Bugeye rear brake upgrade and clutch problems.

To: macleans@earthlink.net, Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bugeye rear brake upgrade and clutch problems.
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 17:08:31 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 7/15/99 2:28:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
macleans@earthlink.net writes:

<<    In my experience, you should NOT flush the brake lines with anything
other than
 brake fluid.  If there is still too much gunk inside, you might consider new
steel
 brake lines.  Not as daunting a task as it sounds.  There are several options
 available to replace them.
      As to the synthetic brake fluid, if you are using Lockheed RUBBER parts
in your
 master cylinder and slave cylinders, you might be experiencing swelling of
the
 rubber.  Synthetic fluid and rubber parts don't seem to mix very well. >>

Actually, it is okay to flush a hydraulic system with denatured alcohol.  It
will clean pretty well and it evaporates completely.

As far as synthetic brake fluid, it probably is okay.  I don't like silicone
(DOT 5) brake fluid, but synthetic should be compatible with DOT 4.  I use
Castrol LMA, which is also DOT 4.

Just my 2 cents.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget