Re: Bugeye with an identiy complex

To: Eriks Skinkis <eriks@netspace.net.au>, Australian Sprites and Midgets <spridgets.aus@listbot.com>, UK Sprites and Midgets <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bugeye with an identiy complex
From: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:12:59 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Eriks,

One of the Bugeyes I acquired a few years ago was missing the chassis plate
(the one under the air clearners), and the engine number. I wanted to
acquire a BMIHT cert. also, and after writing the Heritage Trust, I was
informed that the number from the RIGHT hand door post (number begins
BAE...} would suffice for the trace. I also learned from my research that
the chassis number is also written in crayon on the back of the dashboard
(though not always still legible after 40 years), and sometimes across the
jump seat under the mat. I did have the number plate from the RH door post
and succeeded in getting my certificate. My  MKIV does have the chassis
number stamped on the RH shock mounting plate and also on the RH floorboard
near the crossmember, but I have never observed numbers in these locations
on a Bugeye.

Cheers,

Gerard

>Hi Cait,
>
>When I ordered a Heritage Certificate from the UK for my Midget, it was
>easy as all the body/chassis numbers were really obvious and located right
>where the workshop manual said they'd be. Unfortunately this doesn't help
>you.
>
>I'm wondeing if there is anyone else on this email list who has had
>experience trying to get a Heritage Certificate for a Bugeye, and whether
>the number stamped across the front of the wishbone mount is all thats
>needed?
>
>Cheers,
>Eriks Skinkis.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux