cooling fans for vert. flow rads.

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: cooling fans for vert. flow rads.
From: "cfchrist" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 19:12:53 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
back in 74 i bought my bugeye.  it already had a 1275 in it with the plastic
fan.  within a month or so the fan threw a blade so i decided to put one of
the metal 2 blade fans on.   after finding the fit less than fantastic i
grabed the blue tiped wrench and heated up the top of the breather and
bashed(with style) the top corner in.  next with a vise i took a little of
the pitch off of the trailing edge of each blade to add some more clearance
in the event of  fan blade flex.  now my point being that most factory
designs are functional and do not need modifications.  the biggest problem i
have experienced is the belt sliping at speed(makes no noise).  grab your
fan blade and try to turn it if you can move it with no motion in the
alt./gen. or crankshaft you are too loose.   then you will need to tighten
the belt.  this was the case with my car running hot and a gentelman's at
the pocono vintage race last year.  no leaks, correct heat range thermostat,
no obstructions,  and running dangerously hot(he was considering not running
the feature race due to not wanting bake his motor).   after looking at it
we tightened his belt and he agreed that he would try it and if it started
running hot  head for the pitts.   he finished his race  and was running
cool too.   worry less about the fan blade and more about the tension on the
belt .  at high rpm the resistance of the coolant against the impeller is
very high and a seemingly tight belt will slip against the resistance
causing it to run hot .  chuck.