Re: Tranny questions..rebuild vs rivergate

To: "Ric Bergstrom" <Ric_Bergstrom@britishcarclub.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tranny questions..rebuild vs rivergate
From: "David Riker" <davidr@sunset.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:09:15 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ric-
For 9 years I was convinced by my friend and MG mentor to keep my Midget
drivetrain stock.  In that time the car was used as a daily driver.  I had
the first transmission rebuilt by Ammco and one month later first gear
shattered when I was doing a stop light, drop clutch, drag race start (yeah,
I was young and stupid once upon a time).  The second transmission lasted
about two years, then started poping out of gear.  Replaced that with a
rebuilt one from England.  Was driving down the street minding my own
business about 6 months later and it self destructed.  Opened it up and it
had sucked something between 2nd gear and the Lay gear.  Ruined everything.
I was very cash-poor at that time, so I took 3 used trannys and made one out
of them, but even with the same part no's, first gear changed several times
during production, so that tranny was never right.  Limped it along for a
year (mostly stored the car) then bought another rebuild.  It was a decent
transmission, but I was always afraid of what might happen next.  Finally
had the opportunity to buy my brothers Datsun B210 from him.  The car had
175,000 miles on it.  When we opened the transmission , all it needed was
bearings.  I have that tranny in my MG now, and it probably has well over
220,000 on it.  Second gear syncro is a little worn, but overall, it is
still better than any of the Ribcases I've had over the years.

David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon