Cylinders 1 & 2 Sooty !

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cylinders 1 & 2 Sooty !
From: chuck <chuckc@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 16:54:21 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Still running lousy. I cleaned and gapped the plugs,
checked the point gap, set the dizzy to the fastest
idle around 1200 rpm.

1. starts right up fine.
2. seems to idle pretty well around 900-1000.
3. runs just great in reverse down the driveway.
4. starts fine in 1st until the revs pick up.
5. then runs rough, falters, stumbles as I accelerate,
   but with smooth spots here and there. Like an intermittent
   short or something.
6. plugs 3 & 4 look great.
7. plugs 1&2 sooty - dry black powdery stuff.

Does this mean the front carb is now too rich?

Maybe the "inspector" changed the front carb setting?