Gulp Valve elimination (hypothetical)

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gulp Valve elimination (hypothetical)
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:20:35 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dear list:

On a completely different subject, what would be the consequences of
removing some items of emmission control hardware, such as the Gulp Valve?

Just hypothetically, of course.  Could one still pass inspection?  Would it
significantly change the performance of the engine?  A faulty gulp valve on
the '74 Midget is leading to some (very occaisonal) backfiring.  I
understand that these charming little devices are responsible in such a
situation, which occirs only when the RPMs decrease rapidly, such as when
pressing the clutch and taking the car out of gear.

I am told that the gulp valve is an item which goes bad with irritating
regularity.  Frankly, I am not certain what the purpose of this thing is,
anyway.