Re: Gulp Valve elimination (hypothetical)

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Gulp Valve elimination (hypothetical)
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:11:40 -0400
Cc: LBCarNut@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, spritenut@Exit109.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
> Don't get me started on emissions testing!!!  What sense does it make to have
> a visual inspection of the equipment?  Aren't they trying to clean the air?
> Isn't that their ultimate gaol?  If the car can be tuned to NOT polute
> without an air pump or gulp valve or a dead cat hanging above the engine, IT
> SHOULD PASS THE INSPECTION!

  This logic assumes that all emissions come out the tailpipe,
which is not true.

  In addition to exhaust emissions, there are also
crankcase emissions, evaporative emissions, and
so on.

  Unfortunately, the visual inspection really is required
to check that items like charcoal canisters, PCV valves, and
other such items haven't been removed. Doing so would
increase emissions but not show up on the tailpipe sniff.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca