Timing the 1275 ?

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing the 1275 ?
From: chuck <chuckc@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:15:32 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Got the beast running pretty well now, after the
"we never laid a glove on it" inspection. But I'm still
not real happy with the timing.

First I always take out the expensive timing light and try to
set it according to the book -- about 10 degrees BTDC at about
800-1000 rpm with the vacuum hose disconnected and plugged.

She really does not like that setting.

Then I just try to set it using a tach to get it smooth and
just below the peak rpm. Usually ends up with the timing mark
on the pulley just in advance of the entire timing scale
on the crankcase.

There has gotta be a better way!

Is there a better setting than 10 degrees BTDC for dynamic timing?

chuck