Re: Timing the 1275 ?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, chuckc@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Timing the 1275 ?
From: Bryan Vandiver <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:23:21 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have the same question...
I'm got a 1275 with a Kent MD266 cam, and dellorto side draft, and ignitor
ignition.
I 'timed in the cam' to the exact specifications that came with the cam, using
dial gauge to find actual TDC of the #1 piston, and then checking for maximum
lift at the intake valve ( had to use an offset cam key). In any case, my
timing
marks on the fly wheel are now off by about 2.5 degrees.
The engine started fine without setting the timiing at all (this was a totally
rebuilt engine and never run).
It appear that the timing may be a litt too advanced, and I tried adjusting it
by 'ear' with the car idleing at around 2000 RPM (break-in) (it's almost
impossible to read the timing marks with the car sitting on the ground).
In any case, is there a better way??

 - Bryan