Re: secret identity of fiberglass nose

To: cfchrist <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: secret identity of fiberglass nose
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@videotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 21:38:53 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
cfchrist wrote:

> at import carlisle i bought a damaged fiberglass front end with the intent
> of eventually installing it on my bugeye.  at first it was thought to be a
> speedwell but then not.  it does not use the bugeye grille, and has a small
> raised peak running down the center to the top of the grille opening.  the
> headlights are in the fenders similar to an xke or a ferrarii gto.  not
> fearing glass work it will be an easy repair to return it's structure to a
> state of soundness.  i just would really like to identify it's manufacturer.
> the grille opening resembles a jabro mk1. (wich so happens to be 1 sitting
> in my shop right now).  it is definitly a period piece since a headlight
> bucket came attached to it with cloth wraped wiring.  i do need an inner
> structure from a bugeye front end at the hood hinges any one have a wrecked
> or rotted front end that they might consider cutting out the 2 rear fender
> reinforcements and reinf at rear of hood where hindges mount?  probably not
> but just hoped that maybeeeeeee?  ok gang any ideas?  oh yes i called
> speedwell and they definitly said that it was not theirs due to the peak
> running down the center of hood aerea.   thanks.  chuck.

I believe I have the same bonnet as you sitting in my garage. I do not
know what a Jabro Mk1 grill opening looks like but my bonnet has a low,
shallow, rectangular opening. Looks a lot like a Lenham bonnet but they
did not have the power bulge down the center. The closest comparison is
definately an E-type Jag bonnet.

I was told by the seller that he bought it from a gentleman who
apparently bought it from Williams and Pritchard in the U.K. Apparently
they had to dust off an old mold they used to use in the early Seventies
in order to make "one last copy". Yeah, right!

Anyway, I would like to identify it. Anybody want to see a picture?

Daniel58612