Re: Blow-by?

To: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>, "Spridgets \(E-mail\)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Blow-by?
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 18:46:51 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Adrian,
Blow by is when the combustion byproducts "blow by"
the rings, building up crankcase pressures.  Often you
will see evidence it in the PCV system because those
vapors will eventually soak your PCV intake in oil.
When it is really bad like on my old 948 at times, you
can smell the gasoline in the oil, and the oil turns
black real fast.  You now have fuel and combustion
byproducts (including moisture) in your lubricant, a
bad thing.   I'm not sure what is meant by a "stuck
ring", but you might want to verify your PCV is
working OK and isn't letting too much stuff in before
you pull the head.  Sorry if you tried this already -
I've been on and off the list lately and haven't read
many recent threads.

Good luck -
Ron