RE: Diff Fill plug...

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Diff Fill plug...
From: Michael Graziano <mgrazian@ltcm.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 09:42:01 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Make a tool to get it out....

Trevor Boicey's method...

  Probably the easiest way to make one is to buy a cheap
socket adapter, one that attaches to a 3/8th inch socket and
gives a 1/2 inch drive. Cheapies are like $1 in chain stores.

  Taper the 1/2 inch square drive with a grindstone until
it fits securely in the drain plug. Then use it on your
ratchet to do the work.

Andy Errington's method...

It starts out with a 5/8" bolt, which you grind to a tapered square section
to suit the square socket in the fill plug.  You could use plasticene, silly
putty or blu-tak to take an impression of the socket to be sure you don't
grind too much off the bolt.  I made one, didn't take too long.  Keeping
hold of the bolt whilst grinding it was tedious, and it is useful to
remember that the bolt will get hot...

Or Dwight Dawson's method

I found a cheap "proper" tool for these drain plugs at the auto parts
store.  Its a strange looking thing with multiple heads for the
different sizes with one that fits the B plug nicely.  Was only a few
bucks.

Take your pick.

Michael

        __/__,_
|           Michael Graziano            |
|   Long Term Capital Management L.P.   |
|         Phone: 203-552-5706           |
|         Fax:   203-552-5869           |
|       Email: mgrazian@ltcm.com        |