Re: UPS vs. USM (last time)_

To: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: UPS vs. USM (last time)_
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 12:41:17 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ron Soave wrote:

> I know we have been thru this, and lately way too much
> venting has been happening on this list, but I will
> simply say UPS has, for the 3rd time in 2 months, lost
> a package of Sprite parts.  This time at least the
> friggin' internet tracker told me something:  The
> parts were received 30 miles from here, and then
> "Re-routed to the correct destination", which they
> list as someplace in Maryland (I'm in Illinois).   My
> UPS guy must have one helluva restoration going.  They
> will never directly receive a dollar from me ever
> again.

One important this is correct packing of anything being
shipped by ANY shipper.  This is my preferred method.

        1.  Pack item to be shipped in a box and label
        this box.  Pack item with padding, bubble wrap,
        peanuts, etc.  Tape box shut with glass tape.
        Label box.  Tape label onto box, and seal box
        again with clear packing tape.  Lots.

        2. Place this box inside another shipping box.
        Now use plenty of packing peanuts or bubble wrap.
        Seal this box with lots of glass tape.  I use 4 or
        5 pieces to seal both sides of the box,  4 or 5
        pieces going all the way around the box and cover
        every seam with tape.

        3.  Label box and stick on label with clear packing
        tape.  Tape box up again just like in step 2.  Pretend
        that the cardboard was not there anymore after you
        shipped your box. IF the item you shipped would arrive
        only because of the amount of tape that is encasing
        the item you might have used enough tape.  Remember
        tape is your friend and always use way more than you
        think you could ever need.

Your box should be packed so it can handle a 200 lb guy stepping
on it, because that is what happens on the sort belts.  If you
don't think you can stand on what you just packed you did not
do it right.  While this might be overkill you do want the package
to get there intact.  Oh yeah your packing tape and glass tape
should be the stuff that is 3 inches wide.  Use a high quality
tape such as 3M.  Tape is not an item to skimp on.  If you care
about the item, insure the item. Just my 2 cents on how to ship stuff.

Of course if they lose your item no amount of packaging will help.

--
Bill Gilroy
E-mail:    wmgilroy@lucent.com