HIF Carb Update!

To: "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: HIF Carb Update!
From: Jackson Zimmermann <JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:22:10 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Thanks for all the various replies!  I'm really looking specifically for the
HIF type, not the HS or H.  I actually made a small mistake with this (slip
of the keyboard), the HIF44  or HIF6 carb is 1.75", the HIF4 or HIF38 is
1.5".  The HIF has the float bowel in the bottom of the carb itself vs float
bowels off to the side.  Here is a picture of an HIF44
http://www.aptfast.com/Images_Parts/SU/HIF44.jpg , the HIF38 is very
similar.

I've got several HS 4 MGB carbs laying around, but I'm really looking for
something with the integrated float bowels as they are supposedly much more
resistant to starvation issues in hard cornering...  From everything that I
have heard, there were no HIF 1.25" carbs, so using the existing carbs and
fully modifying them for flow is out of the question.  Therefore I'm looking
at either going with HIF38 or the HIF4 and port match the existing log
manifold with Vizard's modifications or go with the HIF44 or HIF6 on a brand
new Titan Motorsport manifold from APT.  Anyone have experience with these
mods?  From what I have read, the HIF6 on the Titan would be very nice, more
easily tuned, and would still far outflow my existing pair of 1.25" carbs.
The HIF4 has the potential to be cheaper since I would be using the existing
manifold and the carbs are certainly very plentiful.  I'm not really
interested in going with webers due to the tuning issues for street cars.
I'm leaning toward the HIF44 or HIF6, if I can get a decent used one...

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org
'64 A-H Sprite (autox and street)