Portland ABFM

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Portland ABFM
From: "Doug Ingram" <dougi@home.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 22:34:15 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I don't think the All British Field Meet held in Portland OR this past
weekend could have been better. Total registration was 720 British cars, and
the range of marques represented was fantastic. MG was featured, and the
organizers had assembled some rare ones, including a 1934 PA Airline Coupe,
a 1929 M-type 12/12 special, an absolutely beautiful 1937 VA Tickford
Drophead Coupe (which took best in show), the 2nd MGB produced, which is the
oldest in existence, completely original except for paint, and only 67000
miles on the odometer.

There was a Jaguar concours in conjunction with the meet, and plenty to
drool over for Jag lovers like myself.

They offered rides on the track at speed in old LBCs, I had some low door
fun in a TR3. Also, the Land Rover people offered rides on a "jungle" course
which was fun - those things have an amazing ability to hang onto steep side
slopes.

Along with 10 other cars from my local club, I made the run to Portland via
the west side of Puget Sound, which is a great drive, and then while some
made the quick run down I-5, myself and other anti-interstate types found
some slower but much more fun side roads, complete with detours, 25 mph
zones through small town America, narrow bridges, and slow farm trucks. It
was about 600 miles on the odometer there and back, and my little car ran
flawlessly, much to my relief and pleasure.

Entrants were divided into 69 classes, and balloting was by people's choice.
I was very happy to be selected first among early A-H Sprites - my first win
at a big show!

My club really did well at this event, taking a total of 5 first in classes,
and 3 seconds. Club members also did well in the slalom event, taking 1st,
2nd and 3rd in the 4 cyl small bore class.

Spridgets were well represented, with 8 Bugeyes, 4 box Sprites, 7 CB
Midgets, 4 RB Midgets, and 2 Arkleys. Walt Harrison was there from Seattle
with his Nevada beige 1960 Sprite, and Andrew Gilchrist from Newport OR was
there with his freshly restored Leaf Green 1960. Both nice cars, and great
to see those original colors. Bernard Kron was also there from Seattle with
his seriously modified Bugeye, with a brand new A+ block, and every other
performance mod you could think of. Stinkin' fast, I'm sure, and as a
chequebook job, I'm sure he must have at least $40K into it.........

The swap meet was good, with lots of Spridget stuff, but not much I was
looking for. Quite a few interesting cars for sale there, including 2
Bugeyes that weren't bad, and a couple of Midget projects. There was also an
A-H 3000 Mk III that was beautiful, and an XK 150 FHC, but both carried
significant tags.

It was a fabulous weekend, fantastic weather, good company, good food, great
driving, phenomenal show - anyone who can make it next Labor Day weekend
should be there. As my friend Jim says, the only ones who missed out are
those who didn't go......

Oh yeah, I met Paul Asgeirsson there, and had a good visit with him. Where
were the other listers? WFO Herb, were you there? Ulix? I did get an E-mail
from Tim Osborne saying he saw my car but missed me. Was anybody else there?
Next year, maybe all the listers from the northwest including northern
California could get together in Portland.....

Doug Ingram
Victoria BC
1958 Frogeye
AN5L/636