Safety Wiring

To: boxweed@thebest.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Safety Wiring
From: richard.arnold@juno.com
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 06:38:46 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
> Another alternative, if you have a drill press, is
> to cross-drill a small hole through the hex head
> and safety wire it in place. You can run the wire
> between the two bolts.

>> Your joking, right!!!!??

He's not joking.  Safety wiring is normally used in applications were a
failed fastener will have extreme consequences (such as the aircraft will
fall out of the sky....).  I've done it to a small-block Chevy with
header bolts that kept vibrating loose (V8 Vega).

Most difficult thing, other than drilling the holes, is spiral wrapping
the wire; I used a set of pliers designed for that task.  These pull the
wire through a pair of guides and twist the wire.  After that, you only
need to remember to secure the wire so that its 'tightening' the bolt
head when secured.

Rich