Re: Safety Wiring

To: "Ric Bergstrom" <Ric_Bergstrom@britishcarclub.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Safety Wiring
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 08:37:29 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Okay two sec class on Safety wire....

never use pliers on anything but the ends that are not holding....(scars
the wire)

Start with the wire spread 90 degrees for the first two to three wraps then
go to 60 degrees and use 8-10 wraps per inch on .032 and .040 wire smaller
wire takes smaller wraps...

Always plan your work to pull the nut or bolt head tighter .... there are
three kinds of Safety's .... Positive.... (pulling to tighten) neutral
(doing noting but going between the two points and not good) and negative
(pulling to loosen... real bad)

in the world of Aviation we planned our safety wire to come out just right
every time...... in other words we did it alot until we understood which
wrapped twist was going to give us the most positive work ....when we came
out of the bolt head we switched directions on the wrap.... I make this
sound simple and it really is... but it takes a bunch of Practice.... good
thing wire is cheap.... Oh and I do use the Pliers now and again... but
mostly I do it by hand.... I just like the feel of it...

Keith Turk (retired Attack helicopter Pilot and Mechanic)
Austin Healey 100, Bugeye, Box sprites, Bonneville Camaro ( Land Speed
Racer)