Maniflow header installed, BUT....

To: "Spridgets List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Maniflow header installed, BUT....
From: "Greg Gowins" <cartman@dnai.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:19:53 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello fellow listers,

Thanks again for all of the recommendations on getting my Maniflow header
installed.  I finally got it in on Friday, using Bryan's pull the head
method.  Since I had to put new head studs in, it wasn't too much of a
hassle.  It took a little wiggling, but the header dropped right into place
without having to rock the engine or cut any metal around the original
exhaust tube hole.  Now here comes the but...

I put everything back on the engine, and when I started the engine, she
fired right up.  But instead of idling, the RPMs kept rising, quickly.  Shut
everything down, checked the obvious, like the throttle return spring or a
sticking choke.  Everything checked out fine.  A little more research, and I
was leaking gas below the intake manifold ports on the head.  No prob, I
must not have tightened the bolts down enough.  Rechecked and they were
fine.  A little more looking, and I realized that the middle tube of the new
exhaust manifold was supporting the intake manifold keeping it from seating
down all the way!!!  It was short of seating on the gasket by about a 1/8 of
an inch on the bottom of the intake port.

I have a Weber DFV carb (just like a DGV, only different)  and am wondering
what my options are right now.  Are there any spacers I can get to push the
intake manifold away from the head a bit, ala the SU's?  Or am I stuck
getting a new manifold, in which case it would cause me to have no choice
but to upgrade to DCOEs...<grin>  Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Greg Gowins
'69 Sprite
Dublin, CA

PS   Sorry I missed the event in Palo Alto.  It sounded like a blast.  I was
planning on attending, but it was opening weekend of soccer season, and at
the end of the game, my only thoughts were on getting in the hot tub back at
the apartments!  I'm getting old WAY too quick...