Re: LBC frustration....

To: toby.1969ah.1971lc@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: LBC frustration....
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:51:41 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Toby,

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 03:03:19 -0700 "R. Toby Atwater"
<toby.1969ah.1971lc@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>I guess there is a LBC cycle: work, work, fun, joy,  frustration,
>work....
>repeat
>
>I'm in the frustration period.
>
>    After my original Lucas generator gave out, I ended up replacing
>it with
>a "Lucas replacement" from M**S. Well the thing works one minute than
>it
>doesn't... Im suspecting my regulator is now at fault, Ive got to fix
>that.
>I also just installed a radio recently... I dont think that could draw
>more
>than a few amps so I dont think thats the prob.

Sounds like there is a possibility of a loose/broken/ungrounded wire,
too.

>    I noticed today my oil pressure was around 40 psi (running mildly
>fast
>rpm) ... the gauge goes to around a 100 if I remember right, and I
>thought
>the first day I started it up it was at 60 psi but I could be
>mistaken....
>What should it be at?

Varies greatly, but a hot running pressure of 40 is well whithin the
normal range as is the 60 at start up.

>    A month or so ago I broke a fan blade against the radiator causing
>me to
>get them replaced, fixed in that order. I bolted the radiator down
>good (it
>was missing some bolts before) and I thought my probs were solved. No.
>Broke
>another blade yesterday and another blade today. Motor mounts? could
>the
>engine be flying around in the engine bay?

Sounds like simple metal fatigue of the fan blade.  There also should be
a small square stiffener that goes over the 4 bolts that fasten the blade
to the water pump.  If i's not there, you will continue to fatigue blades
off.  Inspect any blade you put on very closely for cracks radiating out
from the bolt holes.  Breaking blades can really raise havoc in the
engine bay.

>    Gas mileage... Im getting horrible gas mileage, around 15 mpg. I
>suspect
>one of my floats is flooding... there is a hole at the top of the
>float
>cover and every so often it sputters raw gas outa there. I changed
>floats
>but to no avail. It still does it. Are you supposed to shim the float
>with
>washers so the valve opens and closes at the right level? With no
>shims it
>seemed level like Haynes says it should. could my valve be sticking? I
>blew
>into it and it seemed fine.

You may need new needle valves rather than floats.  There is also the
possibility of the wrong needle and spring combinations in the carbs.
Who knows what PO do with the carbs.  If you are lucky enough to still
have one of the small tags under a float bowl screw, I can tell what
these carbs are from and also let you know what is suposed to be on
there.

>This is a 69 Sprite BTW... Thanks for all your help..
>
>BTW the blank shirts for the Spridget shirts are being ordered as we
>speak... better late than never...

Great news on the shirts.

>Thanks for everything...
>
>Toby