more Re: Honda 2000 - Saw it last night

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: more Re: Honda 2000 - Saw it last night
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:57:27 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 17/09/99 21:16:17 GMT Daylight Time, Ajhsys@aol.com writes:

<< And the drawback is that you have no torque at low RPMs.  They are not
great off the line, until the revs hit 5500 or so.  Remember, torque wins
races, horsepower sells cars.  The Honda has a 9000 RPM redline, but how long
will that engine last at those speeds?>>

 Hi Allen,

I think the VTEC system switches to the second set of cams at 5,500 so that
is where the big power comes in.  And, you are correct that a high engine
speed will shorten the life of the engine (the car I drove wasn't mine so I
naturally took it to 8,000rpm every shift, Ha!).

But I am not sure that there is no torque at low rpms - the whole point of
the VTEC system is to ensure that you do have.  I think you need to compare
like with like and consider that any 2000cc normally aspirated engine, and
some turbo charged engines of 2000cc making over 200bhp will make Less torque
than the VTEC.  At least ought to, I don't have any power curves handy to
check.

Daniel1312