Re: Wishbone Problem

To: boxweed@thebest.net, Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wishbone Problem
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 13:29:45 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 9/18/99 9:03:21 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
boxweed@thebest.net writes:

<< Does anyone know of a way to fix the threaded area of the wishbone on a '63
 Sprite where the fulcrum pin screws into it?  Moss and VB both offer the
 threaded fulcrum pins for sale, but I can see that on mine, it's the threads
 in the wishbone that are worn out rather than the fulcrum pin itself. >>

Bob:

You can replace the threaded bushings--first you have to find them.  But they
are silver soldered in place.  You need an acetylene torch to melt the old
ones out, and silver solder with the acetylene to solder the new ones in.
Getting them aligned is a trick--easiest to buy an extra new fulcrum pin and
screw it in place before positioning the bushings in place.  I say new pin
because I used the old one to align mine and it was worn just enough that I
couldnt get the new one in, so I used a new pin which I saved back to use
only for this purpose, due to the heating of the pin in the process.

Also you have to be very careful to not use too much heat, so you do not
de-temper the A-Arm or the bushings.During the process, I think it would be
"false ecomomy" (I love that term) to not use new fulcrum pins too.   While
they probably look good, theyare most likely worn.  They are not that
expensive.

I have only done this once.  There are guys on the list who have done many of
these and who will undoubtedly offer other ideas and advice.  This is where I
received nearly all the information I had going into this process.  Good Luck!

--David C.