Re: Early Morris Minor Advice-Update

To: wcelliot@concentric.net
Subject: Re: Early Morris Minor Advice-Update
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 1999 21:22:37 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:57:00 -0400 Bill Elliott <wcelliot@concentric.net>
writes:

>The gearbox, on the other hand, absolutely howls in first and reverse,
>but seems to be decent in the other gears.  I assume this will have to
>be immediately rebuilt or replaced. (This is dramatic... I've never
>heard anything even close in a driveable car!)

Very likely this is the result of an amateur rebuild that used a wrong
first gear ring.  Will fit and work, but sounds like a sirenin 1st or
reverse.

>Will a late model 1275 Spridget gearbox bolt right up? Anybody close
>have one?

The spridget gearbox normally comes with a slave operatd clutch.  The
trow out arm is positioned on the right side.  If this Morris is a left
hand drive, you will need to replace the trans front cover with one that
allows the TO arm to come out the left side,  The correct ones are
essentially extinct so you can use the front cover and TO arm from your
smooth case.  You'll need to redrill a couple of hles in it as the
ribcase front cover has a diferent bolt pattern.  No bib problem, though.

Then you will have a quick acting clutch that is essentially an on off
switch.  With my upgrade kit, that is fixed easily.

One other problem area is the ribcase has an input shaft that is longer
than the smoothcase.  These were always used with a thick engine backing
plat, the 948 has a thin one.  If the input shaft doesnt bottom out in
the end of the crank, then it's OK, but if it bottoms out, you will never
have a neutral so you need a thick backing plate with it's oil pump cover
and a matching gasket.  The oil pump on a 948 is located in a diferent
place than the 1275, but with the bigger pump cover and gasket, all will
be well.

Hope this will help you stay out of trouble doing this swap.

>Any reason not to go to dual HS2's?  Anybody have a set of these they
>want to get rid of?  (I assume a header would make a good addition as
>well... or does a street 948 need one?)

You pick up about 3 HP and a lot of fiddling.

>Shouldn't the 948 have a mechanical fuel pump (vice the solid state
>electric that's in the car)?

All Morris MM, Series II and 1000 came with electric fuel pumps.  A solid
state one back by the tank is a great bet.  Under hood is not so good.

>Any experience with Trafficators? They _almost_ work!

I love fixing them and then have some curious person in a parking lot
pull them up ans say, "Oh so cut" and break them in the process.  Then I
can fix them again!!!!

>I'm joining the Minor List, but I figure there's more 948 expertise
>here!

>Thanks again for all the help!
>
>Bill Elliott
>Lake Mills, WI