Re: The 1st Of Many (stupid) Questions

To: RedsMyDog <mydogred@bellsouth.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The 1st Of Many (stupid) Questions
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 07:37:02 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Tom,

Congratulations! Bleeding spridget hydraulics sometimes requires a lot of
patience. There are at least four major techniques. First is have an
assistant pump the pedal, then hold it, while you open the bleeder valve at
the slave cylinder (have a clear plastic tube stuck onto the valve and
running into a jar to catch old fluid). Have the assistant continue to
slowly (even gently) pump, without pushing the pedal all the way to the
floor, until no bubbles can be seen in the tube. A second method is just a
continuation to the first. Once a flow is started, just let the fluid flow
over hours, being sure to replenish the master cylinder. Leave the cap off
the master cylinder. A third technique is to use a MytiVac or somesuch
connected at the bleeder valve to suck air and fluid through the system.
Make sure the MC doesn't run dry. My favorite LBC mechanic prefers this
method. Finally, you can force fluid through the system using an Eze-Bleed.
This can be store-bought for about $35 or homemade. The idea is to
pressurize the MC with either a bicycle pump or the pressure from your
spare tire. I have had the best luck with this when bleeding the clutch on
my '65. If you're interested in this, email me for details or check the
archives. Unfortunately, I've lost my bookmark for the website that details
how to make one.

Jeff

At 11:52 PM -0400 9/22/99, RedsMyDog wrote:
> Hey list!
> Bought a 78 midget recently that's been sitting for over 2 years.
> Finally got it started and I also got the brakes working. Pretty proud
> of myself seeing as I have no mechanical background. I'm reading the
> repair manual and learning as I go, but it assumes you have some working
> knowledge of repairs. I think I would be better off with "MG Repair for
> Dummies".
>
> I can't get the air out of the clutch lines, so no clutch. Any things I
> may have missed bleeding the clutch?
> ~and~
> What's the best gas (octane) & oil to use in this car?
>
> thanks in advance for your help.
> -Tom
> Winston-Salem NC

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD