Re: MSRP (no LBC content)

To: "George Procyshyn" <geopro@cyberdrive.net>, "David Riker" <davidr@sunset.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MSRP (no LBC content)
From: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 09:01:56 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
If the Honda dealer didn't add the extra markup, it would occur in the
aftermarket. For months after the New Beetle came out, there were always
several classified ads in the paper for them for about $3k over list. VW
holding the line on MSRP only took the money out of their own pockets.

Back when I was younger, I used to wonder why Mercedes-Benz was a family car
in Europe and a luxury car here. Then I read an article in a car magazine
that said that the U.S. importer of M-B took a 100% profit on their
wholesale prices to the dealers, and it all became clear.

I once asked a doctor I knew why he bought Mercedes-Benz cars when they were
so hideously overpriced compared to Europe. He responded that the high costs
were because of all the things M-B had to do to meet U.S. collision and smog
requirements. Then I asked him how come Hondas didn't cost $63,000. He was
never very civil to me after that.

I don't really have a problem with $40,000 Honda sports cars. I guess I do
have a problem with $100,000 German sports cars, although I'll grant you get
a lot for your money. And I don't think I would stand in line for one of
those $1,400,000 Mercedes-Benz's, either, but the entire production run has
already been sold, proving that the price is right for the market.

Tom Zuchowski
'61 Bugeye
Clemmons, NC