Re: Honda 2000 - Saw it last night

To: <AHSprite78@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Honda 2000 - Saw it last night
From: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 09:00:38 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I would expect the 2000's engine to last for several hundred thousand miles.
Honda has been doing high-RPM engines for just about forever. I doubt that
anybody knows more about it than they do.

Honda's racing heritage is all about high-RPM power. Back when they raced
4-stroke motorcycles in the '60's, the power band RPMs they used were well
into the teens. Honda did much to resurrect the 4-valve concept at a time
when it had been mathematically proven that two valves flowed better than
four. I don't know if they worked out better flow rates, the "swirl"
combustion chambers 4-valvers use today, or took the flow hit and made it
back with more power strokes per second.

Honda's racing motorcycles were wonders. My favorite was the 2-cylinder,
4-valve-per-cyl. 50cc racing engine that made peak power at 23,000 RPM.
Imagine the size of an exhaust valve, let alone the valve keeper. They must
have employed some of Japans' finest watchmakers to build those puppies.

The two things I took away from the magazine reviews of the 2000 were first,
that the exhaust note was awesome when in the power band. Second, that if
you want to drag race it, you will be on a first-name basis with your clutch
parts supplier because of the total lack of low-end, off-the-line grunt.

Me, I like that kind of engine, one that pushes you into the seat as it
comes up on the power band. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Tom Zuchowski
'61 Bugeye
Clemmons, NC