MG's at Mercer & misc odds and ends

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG's at Mercer & misc odds and ends
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 13:48:29 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Well I got back to my computer today after a weekend away from it. How
very quiet - LOL. So I thought I'd drop a line to the lists about the Sat
MG show in Doylestown, PA.

First off let me say The show was great. My Philly club put on a good
show. - I missed last years as I was moving so I wasn't too sure about
the turnout. But this year there were about 100 cars. Including, for the
first time an Other British Class. Coolest car in that class - a 1931
Morgan 3-wheeler. Neat car. Lots of other good cars too. I see Jim B won
an award in the RBB class - congrats. I could not stay for the awards so
I have just hearsay.

The show itself was kinda disappointing for me personally because my
clutch has been acting up so I got out the jack and the tools to bleed
the bastard on Sat AM. Well after 3 hrs and now NO clutch I gave up in
frustration. I really was gunning for the Diamond in the Rough Award!!

So I got the keys to the Artero out and drove it up to the show, its
first outing!! - Not British - they tell me so not in the show. So I
parked it near the show under a nice tree. The thing drives really nice
on the highway - but man is it a Bear in town!! No Power Steering and 1
foot wide front tires. Also I discovered that the Speedo is wacked out.
It hits 80 mph (on an 85 speedo) as soon as the clutch comes out. Then it
hovers at the bottom of the dial - no matter how fast you are going. (Any
Ideas??) But out on the highway, in 5th at about 60 (at least I guess it
was that fast as that is what the other cars were driving) It loafs along
at about 1200 RPM. But put your foot in it and AWAY you go. I have no
idea how fast this thing will actually go. But it is waay coool. Got lots
of comments and questions about it and even got some pics with me and my
GF MK I next to it. (Hey Rick where is it??) Drew a lot of attention -
for a NON Brit car. (can't call it NON Brit Iron as it a lot of plastic).

At the show it was good to see the usual cast of caricatures tho. Hey
Jason you get an award for the only your Sprite - Or Rick or Biff? And
Thanks to DD for the phone call.

BTW any good suggestions on bleeding the freaking clutch?? Tried the
usual - vacuum, back fill, pump till your leg falls off etc. Got an MG
buddy coming over in Thurs to give a hand - he has been working on them
for over 30 yrs so I hope we can get it done!!

One last item. I spent Sunday working with Dr. Doug on a 76 B with a twin
SU conversion that he could not get to run right. We got it running and I
am now driving it so I can put the Midget in the shop to do the body work
and swap the tranny and clutch. Man do I prefer the Midget - this thing
feels like a tank. ;-)

Larry M.

And a little personal note to all those that recall what I have been
going through this year. Thanks for all the support and yes that is
GirlFriend MK I. Before you ask - I met her on the net and she likes
MGs!!!

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.