Was Supertrapp--Now a Challenge!

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Was Supertrapp--Now a Challenge!
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 16:53:15 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I am having a problem understanding something here.   I have heard in this
muffler discussion what seem to be conflicting points of view.  On the one
hand, I have heard that the muffler that provides a free flow is desirable.
On the other hand I have heard, both on here, and all my life in other
places, that some back pressure is a good thing.  Well it seems to me that
back pressure would be created by a RESTRICTED flow--not a Free flow.  What's
correct??

Also I am gathering that the pipe size is crucial--that you dont want too
large a pipe because it would exhaust the gasses too quickly and NOT provide
the back pressure you need.  So, are these things engineered with the perfect
size pipe at 1 3/4"?  Therefore any mufffler bought should be stepped down to
1 3/4" or use the 1 3/4" stock muffler?  Or is there another size pipe that
would have been more suitable to have been installed on these cars?

Without spending a bundle then, what is the optimum sizes of tailpipe and
type of muffler to put on a 1275?  A 1500?  Is there an optimum?  Or is this
a version of the old Ford vs. Chevrolet argument that teenagers have had
going since I was a teen (don't ask how long ago, but long ago!)?

So the challenge:  For UNDER $50 cost, what is the ABSOLUTE BEST tailpipe
size and muffler setup we can put on these machines for either the later 1500
and the earlier 1275 for the benefit of both running and sound?  I have both
engines, so I would really like to know.

---David C