Exhaust back pressure

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust back pressure
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 15:13:09 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi list,

Can anyone explain to me why an engine would ever need back pressure because
I don't think it does.

For example neither Formula One cars or Top Fuel dragsters have exhaust
systems that have any kind of restriction that will create back pressure.

I know that pipe diameter and length is tunable but this has nothing to do
with back pressure but is for shock wave tuning for exhaust scavenging.

I have heard that some tuning books and maybe magazine features say back
pressure is required.  I say people that write books and magazine features
don't know everything and some know a lot less.  But one writer, David
Vizard, who backs up his writing with flowbench and dyno testing probably is
correct most of the time IMHO and he says YOU DON'T NEED BACK PRESSURE.

Daniel1312 - You know it makes sense.