Re: Exhaust back pressure

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Exhaust back pressure
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 03:19:14 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/7/99 8:47:39 PM, Daniel1312@aol.com writes:

<< For example neither Formula One cars or Top Fuel dragsters have exhaust
systems that have any kind of restriction that will create back pressure. >>

Daniel,

I am out of my area of expertise (if I have any at all) but these are racing
engines and spend most of their time near or at wide open.  The engineering
requirements for this type of engine is not necessarily the same as that for
a street machine.  At least some years ago, for instance, racing engines were
bored on the loose side so there was no break in and they could be raced as
soon as they were assembled.  Street cars on the other hand were bored tight
to very tight (depending on the car), should have been broken in and were in
use longer than racing engines.  That may be a poor example of an engineering
difference but is the only one that comes to mind.  The point is that what
works for racing engines/cars is not necessarily what is best for street cars.

Bob (and Annice)