Another Bonneville Flats item

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another Bonneville Flats item
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 07:59:52 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Dear List:

Since the land speed items have been cropping up on the list, I thought this
might be interesting to folks.  I saw this item on a "This Day in History"
feature.

<<<  October 15, 1964 The Longest Skid Marks on Record

While trying to set a new one-mile land speed record, Craig Breedlove
inadvertently set another kind of record after he lost control of the Spirit
of America jet-powered car on the Bonneville Salt Flats testing area in
Utah. The vehicle began a skid moments into the run, taking nearly six miles
to decelerate from an initial speed of well over 400 mph. When the dust
cleared, Breedlove emerged shaken from the vehicle as the not-so-proud
record-holder for the longest skid marks ever recorded. Nevertheless,
Breedlove, who already held the land-speed record, did manage to break the
500 mph speed barrier that year, just as he had broken the 400 mph barrier
the year before, and just as he would surpass 600 mph in the year following.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com