Club Apathy (relatively long)

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Club Apathy (relatively long)
From: "Curtis Carlson" <carlson@navtech.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:18:27 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Friends:
Lately, our local AH Club has been suffering from some apathy which is
showing itself in diminishing participation in club activities.  Our end of
the year drive resulted in only 6 cars out of a possible 150 members.  This
last weekend, we held our last Gymkhana and only 4 cars showed up and two of
them were over an hour late!

Do any of you have any ideas about sparking new interest in club activities?
Have any of you ever fought with this before?  Either successfully or
unsuccessfully?  I'd be interested in ALL ideas, even the ones which didn't
work.  We've wrapped up the driving events for the year now and Gerty will
go into storage soon, but we still have our annual business meeting coming
up and planning for the next year is just around the corner.  I'm worried
that we won't get any volunteers to commit to hosting events for the
upcoming year.

Some ideas I'm considering include:

Door prizes for club activities and give-aways
Themed activities (4th of July, Boxing Day, Thanksgiving,)

One event which I'd like to host myself for the coming year is a nice summer
drive which would treat some kids in the local Shriners hospital to a ride
in a convertible.  I have to contact the hospital about that.  But we'd need
a minimum commitment of drivers for that one.

What are some of the events in your clubs which result in the most
participation and the best response?

Thanks for listening!
Curt ('n Gert)  Soon to be president

Curtis Carlson
'66 Austin Healey Sprite MkIII ("Gerty") HAN8L-63423
'72 MG Midget MkIII ("unnamed")
Research Geographer  612.931.3936 (voice)
Navigation Technologies  612.931.3937 (fax)
5780 Lincoln Dr  Ste. 100 612.251.7492 (mobile)
Edina, MN  55436  carlson@navtech.com