Apathy and a challenge

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Apathy and a challenge
From: Tomsjetta@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 01:36:11 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
As a new MG owner, I guess I haven't seen a lot of apathy in my club, but
again, how could I possibly recognize it. Still, at an event last weekend, I
was told that the number of cars appearing was down by half.

Since I've been on the list since I bought my Midget in August, we've talked
of concerns about getting younger people involved, and how important it is to
the future of the preservation of the marque that baby boomer's children get
involved. At last weekend's event, I'm guessing I was 15 years younger than
the youngest MG attendee at the gathering. My wife and I had a splendid time,
but as we left, a club member said they hoped that "us old timers didn't bore
you."

Let me set the record straight. Because many of you may be older than me, you
are not a bore. My father has no real interest in cars like I do. He's never
owned a british car, and never will. In my opinion, this is where many of you
learned how to work on LBC's. Me, I have no mechanical experience whatsoever.
I count on this list to help me keep my Midget feeling well despite my
embarassing lack of experience. If I do not learn from you, I cannot learn
from anyone else.

Second, as long as we all love Sprites and Midgets, I could give a hoot about
your age. At my club events, I pray for another Midget to show up. Last
weekend, one did, a '72 I think. Still, at MG club meets, I sometimes feel
like I am showing up with the "un" MG. Yes, the car started out as an Austin
Healy. Yes, the car has a Triumph Spitfire motor. Worse, than beast has the
cursed rubber bumpers.

I'll readily admit I won't win any beauty contests parked next to an MGA,
chrome bumpered MGB/MGB GT or any T-series car. If I had the dough, I confess
I probably would have bought a chrome bumpered MGB. But, the Midget is what I
could afford, and by God it is a nice one, and I love it like a son.

So that's my car. I've been told to avoid Austin Healy club events since I
would get totally blown off from the big healy owners. I had hoped to go
seeking spridget folk, but what a turn-off.  It's this cavalier attitude that
keeps me away from some events. I love my car, and I don't need to waste a
day of my life to have some E-Type or big Healy owner to tell me I own a dog
of an LBC.

So, list, say what you will, but these are my impressions since I've bought
the car and attended a few events.

Tom
78 Midget