Re: Apathy and a challenge

To: Thecarguru@aol.com, Tomsjetta@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Apathy and a challenge
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 06:22:19 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/21/99 5:02:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Thecarguru@aol.com writes:

<< ce they all saw what I was driving and how I drove it (agressively would
be
 my term, crazy would be everyone elses) they started to ignore me. It was as
 I thought-- if I didnt have an MGB or a chrome bumpered Midget I was somehow
 "beneath" their expectations. I would say the average age at these meets is
 between 40 and 50. The few "kids" in my age group are a rather spoiled and
 snotty bunch.(they have become "purists" in the marque or something) I've
 since learned that most of the true "gearheads" and "drive like you mean it"
 crowd have dropped out in the last few years. My buddy was the vice
president
 of our chapter of the club for this year, and he went into it with gusto and
 visions of a more exciting and involved year. I guess he got voted down or
 something because after a while I just got totally bummed out with the lack
 of response to anything. I dont love my MG any less, but I think I can love
 it just fine without paying 40$ a year to be looked down upon. >>

Sorry you had that experience, Gary.   Wish you were here in our part of the
country where the folks are nicer.  Our AH club is very open and gracious
with one another, young or older, AH or not.  Heck, It's OK, but not as much
fun, to drive an Oldsmobile on one of our Drives.  We do have apathy problems
for sure, as far as attending events, but everyone makes their own choices
about things like that, and it keeps the challenge alive for us.  Our monthly
Pub Night has been well attended, has drawn a variety of ages, and helps us
to get to know one another without a business meeting format to get in the
way.  If you are ever in Knoxville on the 2nd Monday evening of any month,
give me a call and visit with us at our Pub Night.

--David C.