Re: Elizabeth's GT (Get Together)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Elizabeth's GT (Get Together)
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 10:37:44 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/25/99 12:18:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ldsp@flash.net
writes:

<< Speaking of Midgets......2,000 Miles? You must be nuts!!!! I drove ours the
 other day, got on the freeway and got to 50 miles and hour........with the
 biggest 18 wheeler on my behind and decided I did not like the looks of his
 axles........looking at me....and jumped right back off.....and shook my
 head and wondered....would it have gotten to 65?

 Susie....still running the back roads, though.:o) >>

Oh c'mon, Susie!  Show a little confidence in the Midget!  <GB>

The third time I drove my Midget (just about a month ago) I had to head down
I-95 thru Philadelphia in a pouring rain storm.  I got the car up to 65 for
the first time and kept up with traffic.  The wipers and windscreen defogger
worked fine, too.  I have to admit, it was a bit scarey, but I think it is
something you get used to.

If I decide to go to Elizabeth's GT, the route will depend on whether I take
the Midget or my Mitsubishi.  I would like to drive down I-81 thru the
mountains in Virginia.  It is 1744 miles from Philadelphia to San Antonio.  I
don't know the rest of the roads, but there are Interstates that go all the
way to San Antonio.  If I take the Midget, I'd rather find back roads.  The
Mitsubishi will motor along at 85 all day, but I don't think I could keep the
Midget at more than 65, and I would have to get the water temp guage fixed
before I would do that.

I think it was Will Rogers who, just after the Interstate highway system was
finished, said, "It is now possible to drive coast to coast, without seeing
anything."

It is important to build up confidence in the car.  You have to also have
confidence in yourself.  Not only to handle the car, but to handle the
emergencies that may arise when you take a 20+ year old car on a long journey.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport