Zoom, was Elizabeth's GT

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Zoom, was Elizabeth's GT
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:32:14 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Daniel1312 said:

>>>Are you guys and gals for real?  I generally wind my Sprite up to 90mph
whenever I get behind the wheel.  On a long run I usually take it up to 105
once and now and again I take it over 115mph.<<<

Are you guys nuts?!?!?   Don't answer that.

On a pre-75 Midget, I am at 4000 RPMs at 65 mph, approximately.  At this
point, I am keeping up with interstate highway traffic, but the noise from
the road, the transmission, and the engine is loud enough that it gets
irritating.  I cannot fathom the joys of Midget driving at a faster speed,
unless the car was modified with a 5-speed conversion, foam soundproofing in
the cockpit and under the hood, a more modern suspension, a larger sway bar,
or so forth.  And I have only modest confidence in the braking system on
these older vehicles, I have not yet had the gumption to test them at high
speed (afraid I'll snap an axle).

I would estimate that at 80 mph I am at or over the redline.

At least I have a roll-bar, though!

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget (stock)