Re: Zoom, was Elizabeth's GT

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Zoom, was Elizabeth's GT
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 23:24:36 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/26/99 4:35:16 PM, cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< Daniel1312 said:

>>>Are you guys and gals for real?  I generally wind my Sprite up to 90mph
whenever I get behind the wheel.  On a long run I usually take it up to 105
once and now and again I take it over 115mph.<<<

>>Are you guys nuts?!?!?   Don't answer that.

On a pre-75 Midget, I am at 4000 RPMs at 65 mph, approximately.  At this
point, I am keeping up with interstate highway traffic,<<

Thats about right depending on what differential you have.

 >>but the noise from the road, the transmission, and the engine is loud
enough that it gets irritating.  I cannot fathom the joys of Midget driving
at a faster speed, unless the car was modified with a 5-speed conversion,<<

Almost 40 years and 170,000 miles with a four speed. <G>

>> foam soundproofing in the cockpit<<

A little in the cockpit helps, mostly for heat. A well built and balanced
engine is also very helpful.  Other peoples tires do seem a lot noisier than
they use to though.

>> and under the hood, a more modern suspension, a larger sway bar,<<

Have never had a sway bar, not that it would not help.

 >>or so forth.  And I have only modest confidence in the braking system on
these older vehicles, <<

Handling will get you out of more problems than brakes ever would.  How do we
know that? <BG>

>>I have not yet had the gumption to test them at high speed (afraid I'll
snap an axle). I would estimate that at 80 mph I am at or over the redline.

At least I have a roll-bar, though!
Regards,
Charles <<

Have never had a roll bar either.  Thinking about one for the  "new" car,
must be getting old ;-)

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk III (in boxes) (Trevor ?)(almost out of the trailer)
Judson Supercharger (in boxes)