SU HS2 Flooding, 1974 Midget 1275

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: SU HS2 Flooding, 1974 Midget 1275
From: richard.arnold@juno.com
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 21:17:08 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
More on the still developing SU drama:

First, thanks to all who offered help on baseline settings for my (now
aborted) attempt at tuning in the HS2's on the '74 Midget 1275 I've been
playing with.  I never cease to be amazed at the amount of knowledge out
there (and am thankful!).

However, before I could get my happy-go-lucky self back to the vehicle,
it was taken to a shop where the mechanic advised new float needles. The
owner, having found a new set of Grose Jets in the box of spare parts,
installed them.

The carbs now flood -- horribly.  Well, only the front one did at first;
the back one was bone dry.  Then I swapped the fuel inlet and the vent
lines back around, and achieved monumental flooding on both carbs.
Suspecting the float levels, I checked these, and found them at 1/8 inch
(measuring from the lowest point on the float to the highest point on the
body/cap).  The floats are the plastic type with the built in
hanger-thingie pivot point; neither appears to be leaking.  The fuel pump
appears to be operating normally.

What in the @#$#&^ am I forgetting or missing here?

Thanks!

Rich