New To List

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: New To List
From: "Terry Williams" <t.williams@mrg.ca>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 19:48:08 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hello everyone! I'm new to this list, but have been on the MGs list off and
on for years (!)which is how I discovered the spridgets list. Just picked
up a '77 Midget to join my BGT and B roadster. This is one of those 5 foot
cars - everything looks real good from 5 feet back, and the closer...well,
you know. It's not a bad car, in that it was licenced and on the road up to
this past September. It needs much, and may be a good starting point (Took
me over 5 years to restore the roadster...), but the immediate plan is to
get it back on the road in the springtime - particularly for my son to
drive to events etc.

All of that to say, I'm seeking orientation in all things Midget. Having
been all over the B series for years, this is my first venture into Midget
territory. I'm looking for some items, and have oh, just a few questions:

As it's a 1500, there's been some interesting carb changes. It now wears a
single SU with a home-made adaptor to the Stromberg intake. Works, but not
well. SO here's question 1 - dual SUs on a 1500? From aTriumph? Twin SUs
were available on the 1500 Midget in Europe, but in North America? I am in
the market for twin SUs, manifold, heat shield etc. Anyone have for sale,
or know where a fella could look...

On the subject of the 1500s versus, say the later 1275s, what differences
are there in engine/tranny mounting? Could one plant a 1500 into a 1275
car?

How  about rolling rust free shells from down southern US? Anyone have a
contact, or ideas as to how to investigate?

If anyone is parting out, or has any iterior items, I'd be interested. Not
looking for NOS, neccessarily. A certain patina of age would be more than
acceptable in this first stage of the Midget's reincarnation. Looking for
Autumn Leaf, which I understand is the darker of the browns. (I believe
this car was originally red, Carmine? - with Bisquit) About all that's left
are the seats, and a few of the kick panels, mostly LH. Even some of those
are missing. No carpeting, save for the piece surrounding the shifter.
Amazingly enough, the dash is perfect! Also missing much of interior trim
bits and pieces, finishers etc. I've just received both VB & Moss
catalogues for reference, and I'm in need of a lot of miscellany. A list is
being generated in the garage on a nightly basis!

Final question - when you peel off the front rubber bumper - what's there?
A B without it's front bumper reveals just how changed the front (and rear)
structures were changed. How 'bout the Midget. Looks to me like the entire
grille surround is there? Anyone make the change? And on the rears, if one
were to lose the rubber bumper, how would one build up the missing arch
from the tailamp bottom down? There are B de-bumpering kits available - how
'bout the Midget?

Sincerely appreciate everyone's time a) to read, and b) for any responses.

Cheers from Canada!

Terry WIlliams
Halifax, Nova Scotia