Re: New To List

To: Terry Williams <t.williams@mrg.ca>
Subject: Re: New To List
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 19:03:31 -0500
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Terry Williams wrote:
> As it's a 1500, there's been some interesting carb changes. It now wears a
> single SU with a home-made adaptor to the Stromberg intake. Works, but not
> well. SO here's question 1 - dual SUs on a 1500? From aTriumph? Twin SUs
> were available on the 1500 Midget in Europe, but in North America? I am in
> the market for twin SUs, manifold, heat shield etc. Anyone have for sale,
> or know where a fella could look...

  Some North American 1300cc spitfires had twin SU-HS2 carbs. While this
work on the 1500 and might be better than the original Zenith, it's not
the correct UK spec.

  The correct twin SU setup is a pair of HS4s (1.5 inch versus 1.25 inch
HS2s).

  From my experience, they are not difficult to find, get in touch with
a UK junkyard and grab a set. Be sure to get all the linkages and
such, and you'll have to adapt a bit because the throttle cable comes
from the other site. But it's straightforward.

> On the subject of the 1500s versus, say the later 1275s, what differences
> are there in engine/tranny mounting? Could one plant a 1500 into a 1275
> car?

  I beleive the differences are slight bodywise, but most everything
underneath the bonnet has to change.

> How  about rolling rust free shells from down southern US? Anyone have a
> contact, or ideas as to how to investigate?

  I have one here in Ottawa if you want.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca