Re: negative ground conversion

To: grbyrns@ucdavis.edu
Subject: Re: negative ground conversion
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 1999 18:42:36 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Here is a letter sent to me by G Cook about the problems of not doing
your negative ground conversion properly!

Here it is:

Boy, I must have done it wrong.  First, my windshield wipers started
running in reverse: forth and back!.  Then I found I could only drive
during the day because my headlights come on only when I brake (I have
to use the headlamp switch to light the brakes).  On the plus side, the
heater started sucking the heat out of the car: air conditioning at
last!.  The battery goes dead while driving, since the dynamo is acting
as the motor, but will self recharge overnight if I leave the brake
lights on.  I have to hook up a spring on the starter knob to keep it
pulled out any time I'm not driving, otherwise it self starts.  I have
to siphon out gas every couple hundred miles because the fuel pump runs
in reverse and keeps filling up the tank.  I can't use the cigar lighter
without risking frostbite.  If I get tired while driving, I pull over,
pull out the starter knob, turn on the overhead light to darken the
interior, tape down the horn button to make it quiet and snooze away.
Oh, yes: the radio only plays country/western now!

Paul
PAsgeirsson@juno.com