IT LIVES!

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: IT LIVES!
From: grbyrns@ucdavis.edu (Glen Byrns)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 22:23:04 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Every single night since August 29th I've been in the garage.  Sometimes for
hours, sometimes for only five minutes, but I worked on my bugeye every single
night without fail.  I stripped it sown to the bare tub, and put it back
together bolt by bolt.  A rear shock from a lister in New Hampshire, front frame
pieces from a lister in Modesto, new parts from three different sources. And
perhaps most valuable, good advice from this list.

Today UPS brought me the starter Bendix that stood between me and starting
the engine.  I met the UPS guy halfway up the sidewalk, as I had been
tracking it by computer since the part left Motorhead.

Thirty seconds of cranking, a wee bit of choking and it lit up!
Some quick twisting of the mixture nut, a small twist on the distributor,
and it was warming up nicely.  Now it was time to here the siren song
of the turbo.  More pedal, more pedal, 6500rpm and still climbing when
I decided to spare the neighbors.  I can't wait for midday tomorrow when
I can wind it up again.  The turbo sounds great.  The engine sounds great.

Now its time for a cold beer and a hearty thanks to the list for the help
in making it happen.  I know I'll face hassles getting it re-licensed,
fixing up the interior etc. but it all pales next to the sound of the
engine still ringing in my ears.   I'll soon get to drive the bugeye I
helped to fix-up thirty years ago, and friends, IT FEELS GOOD!

                                Regards to all,
                                Glen Byrns