Re: Heater switch?

To: "Gerard Chateauvieux" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, "Amy" <casoich@sgi.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heater switch?
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 08:26:27 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Don't sand or scrape  clean metal electrical contacts.
Any small scratches just reduces the surface contact area leading to
more arching and less chance of getting a good low resisitance connection.
(let alone the future tarnish being buried down in the scratches where you
can't get to it.

Use a pencil eraser as the abrasive to clean all electrical contacts.
It's the equivalent of 3000 grit sandpaper and will leave a very bright shine
on the metal
and makes it very easy to get down in the switch to clean them.
Just remember to clean out all the eraser shavings that rub off and
re-apply a nice coating of dielectric grease to keep them from tarnishing.
(the old dried out gunk in the switch when you took it apart is the old dried
out
dielectric grease used when the switch was first assembled at the fatory)

Paul Tegler
OBie - 1973 BGT - Daily Driver
http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/ob_description.htm
Rat - 1980 Spitfire  - fledgling recently left the nest
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit80.htm
Punkin' - 1978 Spitfire - in Superb Shape!
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit78.htm
Lil Greenee - 1973 Rnd Wheel Arch MG Midget in resto mode
http://www.teglerizer.com/midgetstuff/index.html
email: wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com