Re: The Hunter Returns!

To: Wiedemeyer <boxweed@thebest.net>
Subject: Re: The Hunter Returns!
From: Mike Maclean <macleans@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 08:01:42 -0800
Cc: spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bob,
     You sound just like my wife by telling me what I'm thinking.  You have no
idea my motivations or reasons to hunt.  I've never killed anyhting that I did
not eat.  I do not wastefully destroy wildlife.  There are many times I've gone
hunting and come home empty handed, but it felt good to go out and get in touch
with something that doesn't exist in the city.  If you've ever hunted wild
turkey you would know where the sport is.  It took me 5 years to harvest my
first wild turkey. I had to learn mating habits, calls and wild turkey biology
and put it into practice.  When you finally get it right, and a turkey responds
to your calls and starts coming in and he's "talking" to you, you think your
heart is going to burst right through your chest from the adreniline and
anticipation.  That bird will probably be eaten by a coyote or some other
predator if I don't shoot him.  I just think of myself as just another predator
because I'm going to eat that bird, not just wantonly kill it for "sport".
     Hunters are probably more concerned for wildlife and habitiat than most
plastic wrap, foam tray supermarket meat buying city goers will ever be.
Hunters are more in touch with all things wild and more concerned for their
procreation and and habitat although for a selfish reason, so we can continue to
hunt and we enjoy just being in the woods.  Through our direct and
indirect(taxes, license fees, etc.) even endangered species benefit by having
their habitat improved and expanded.  There are many side benefits to hunting.
     And just so I can say there is an LBC content to this letter, I went
hunting a few times in one of my earlier Bugeyes.  Kind of hard to lock up the
guns though.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite
P.S. This is the last of this from me.