Re: List Wisdom:Brake Warning

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: List Wisdom:Brake Warning
From: "Steve Byers" <byers@cconnect.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 19:56:35 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi, Terry --
The "Push to Test" switch on the dash only has one function:  it tells you
the warning light bulb is not burned out or otherwise not working.   The
actual brake failure switch is located on the brake fail warning assembly on
the right side of the engine bay (it's the brass part where all the brake
pipes converge).   There is a shuttle valve inside this assembly that
activates the switch to turn on the dash light if the valve is not centered
(as would happen if you lost one of your brake circuits).  If the light is
staying on, it's probably because the shuttle valve in the brake fail
warning assembly is not centered.  To turn it off, you have to loosen the
bleed screw on a brake while a helper applies pressure to the brake pedal.
If you have identified the proper circuit, the light will go out as the
shuttle valve moves through center.  When that happens, tighten the bleed
screw.  If you don't time it right,  the light will come on again, so
coordination with your helper is important.

Good luck!

Steve Byers
Havelock, NC USA
'73 Midget GAN5UD126009G  "OO NINE"
"It is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool
than to speak, and remove all doubt"  -- Mark Twain