Re: intake manifold loose

To: Bkitterer@aol.com
Subject: Re: intake manifold loose
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:44:09 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Bob,

Thanks for the info. I think that I have all of the correct parts:
bronze nuts, thick flat washers and lock washers. A while back a
brand new thermostat failed closed during cold weather. It took some
time for light to dawn on marble head and I think the engine ran
really hot for several weeks. Possibly this in combo with a lot of
rough driving might've caused the loosening.

Thanks again,

Jeff

PS: The car runs almost better than ever, pulling smoothly from an
idle of 800 rpm all the way to redline.

---
On 11/29/99, Bkitterer@aol.com wrote:
>Jeff,
>
>A non bronze type of nut or lack of a lock washer and manifold nuts come
>loose.   Some times even those come loose.  Think it has to do with thermal
>and vibration effects.   On the bugeye we are using SS nuts with lock and
>flat washers but the bronze type are correct.  Do not remember if they had a
>lock washer or not.
>
>Bob
>
>In a message dated 11/29/99 6:03:10 PM, jboatri@emory.edu writes:
>
><< Bob,
>
>Thanks. I torqued the nuts to 15 ft-lbs and solved my intermittent
>tune problem. I'm not sure how these things got so loose, but there
>it is.

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
http://www.molvis.org/molvis