Re: Another unfamiliar name/steering question

To: spook01@home.com
Subject: Re: Another unfamiliar name/steering question
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 21:17:01 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Ray,

I've been pondering off and on all day what's the diference on the
steering rack assemblies, and I think I have it now.

The Morris LHD rack assembly has the pinion on the top when mounted in
the car, so when you turn the steering wheel to the right, the rack
itself moves left.  With the Morris, the steering arms are located to the
rear of the vertical spindle, and point to the center of the car, and
with this motion of the rack, the wheels turn to the right.

The Spridget RHD steering rack assembly is mounted with the pinion on the
bottom, so when you turn the steering wheel to the right, the rack moves
to the right.  With the Spridgets, the steering arms are mounted to the
front of the spindle, pointing away from the car center to maintain the
correct ackerman.  So with the rack moving to the right, it makes the
wheels turn to the right.

Same rack assembly, for LHD Morris, pinion on top, for RHD Spridget,
pinion on bottom.  Same rack, just flipped over to work right.

Morris, LHD or RHD, pinion always on top, rack moves in the opposite
direction to steering wheel movement.

Spridgets, LHD or RHD, pinion always on bottom, rack moves in the same
direction as the steering wheel movement.

So now it makes some sense when you take a LHD Morris rack assembly, flip
it over to make a RHD Spridget! !

Paul

PAsgeirsson@juno.com