Re: 1500 Midget

Subject: Re: 1500 Midget
From: Swift Justice <samesq@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:26:45 -0800
Cc: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Mike Maclean wrote:

> Jim,
>      Be careful.  With the State of California doing smog spot checks and
>emission
> spot checks at freeway off ramps, you could very well be invited to see a smog
> technician, even for older cars.

    Amen to that.  Here in Sacramento, I have seen two, been stopped at one.
While
driving the '79, I was pulled over on a very busy four lane road in an
industrial park
part of town.  Just in case you didn't feel like stopping there was a chp
officer there
to readjust your decision making process.

    As luck would have it, I was on the way back from the smog station, and had
the
receipt in my hand (you don't get an actual certificate in CA anymore, its all
transmitted electronically.)  The guy just shook his head and waved me through.
 The
next one was just down the street from where I live.  It surprised me to see
one in a
residential area.  I turned and went the opposite way, car was running rich at
the
time.  They operate like DUI checkpoints - placed in hard places to escape from
if
you're caught in one. (not that I've ever been in or tried to run from a dui
checkpoint,
since I don't even drink)

Welcome to the Republik of Kalifornia
Nice weather, but with a price.
--
Steve McGee

 Life is unpredictable.  Eat dessert first.