Bats and Tire help

To: wmgilroy@lucent.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Bats and Tire help
From: richard.arnold@juno.com
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:10:10 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
> Now two people have suggested using a bat [to increase
> tire clearance], but most likely have never used the "bat
> trick" themselves.

Nope, not an urban legend birth.  Sorry.

While I've not done it on a Spridget, I have increased tire clearance to
bend the inner lip up and out of the way (on a '66 Chevelle).  You simply
place the big end of the bat between the lip and the tire.  Then, 'roll'
the bat between the lip and the tire along the radius of the wheel well,
and simultaneously exert a steady pressure against the lip.  If you use
too much pressure you'll bow the panel, or kink the lip.  Use the small
tire that already fits, not the larger one you intend to put on.  If you
lack the room to get the bat in, support the body with jackstands, then
use a hydraulic jack to support the axle and wheel at the proper height.

> Folks you are seeing an urban legend being born.
> Hooray.  I have always wanted to start an urban legend but I
> would have hoped that it was a better one.

With a little luck and some interesting re-editing, maybe the story about
the engine-less Spridget, the bag lady, and the layshaft will be one....
 <GRIN>

Rich
Why pay more to get Web access?