Re: Spiking High Idle - Continued

To: Philip Hubbard <hubbard@idir.net>, Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spiking High Idle - Continued
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 20:05:12 -0500
Philip Hubbard wrote:

> Would a leak here actually make sense?  Intake manifold yes, but exhaust?
> On the other hand it seems sort of consistent with a few other things I'm
> noticing:
> 1) the occasional backfire is only out of the =front= carburetor
> 2) the front carb seems to be feeding significantly more gas out the jet
> than the rear
> 3) the front piston is rising much more than the rear carb's piston and
> tends to fluctuate up and down whereas the rear carburetor is steady

So the front carb is the problem.
Check for an intake gasket rip or leak, or a loose carb bolt or intake
bolts loose.

> Could it be points?  If you burn up the points or they get damaged, what
> symptoms do you get?  Burnt completely would stop things all together
> wouldn't it?

 Nope! It would be hard starting and have a low idle.

> One last question for this post - could my problems be the result of a
> malfuntioning jet on the front carb or something else carb related like the
> needle going bad?

Needles don't wear out over night, but could you have bent it?
Does the piston come fully down with the car off? If not, the jet or
needle or a bit of dirt may be holding the piston up.
Is the linkage between the carbs set right? Loosen the 2 nuts on the
linkage and make sure they are both fully down.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ