Re: fuel line: over or under?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fuel line: over or under?
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 23:31:32 -0500
Jeff:
I am in the process of moving the fuel line on my vintage racer from under
the car to through the passenger compartment. I realize you have a street
car. Keep it on the road and off the grass! There are a few little clips
that hold the steel line to the seat reinforcers on the underside of the
car and some other style clips that hold the line to the flange on the
frame rails. If you need them, I now have some I no longer need. The main
reason I am replacing the external steel line with braided tubing is to get
it away from the header and the heat generated there. I have had some
problems in the past with vapor lock. The new Aeroquip line will run
through the passenger footwell, along the inner fender on the right side
and along the steering rack to the left inner fender. I am also relocating
my fuel filter to a safe place in the trunk nearer the pump, and the
pressure regulator on the left inner fender closer to the carbs. I have
never seen a fuel line inside the trans tunnel but no reason it wouldn't
work. If I did that, though, I think I'd use Aeroquip lines.  The hoses and
fittings aren't cheap. In fact, I went to a local heavy equipment hydraulic
hose guy and got industrial grade stuff much cheaper than the Aeroquip or
Earle's prices in the usual catalogs. It still cost me $93 to run the line
from the cell to the carbs, including two bulkhead fittings which you
wouldn't need on you street car.
The brake line runs through the trans tunnel so the fuel line might be OK
there too.
Bob

At 04:03 PM 02/02/2000 -0500, Jeff Boatright wrote:
>Spridgeteers,
>
>With the engine out, I'm pondering a few things. My fuel line runs
>below the transmission tunnel. It's clearly snagged various and
>sundry items over the years. Is there a reason why the line should
>not be run on top of the floor of the transmission tunnel, where it
>would be protected?
>
>TIA,
>
>Jeff
>Jeff Boatright  '65 Sprite MkIII   __o_\__
>http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/

Regards,
Bob Spruck
Sharpsburg, GA